Wednesday, 1 January 2014

New Year

 Last year I offered the Suscipe prayer as my post for New Year's Day, and I can do no better this time. The best prayer, to my mind, for a new day or the end of the day, the end and beginning of the year, before the Christmas crib - or indeed the Cross on Good Friday when it comes...

Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty: my memory, my understanding and my entire will. All that I have and call my own. You have given it all to me; to you, Lord, I return it. Everything is yours, do with it according to your will. Give me only the love of you, and your grace: that is enough for me.

And this year there's  a beautiful suggestion for a ritual to go with the Suscipe to begin and end the day, at  God in All Things - have a look...

And as a New Year's gift I share with you something my spiritual director gave me: a prayer based on Ephesians 3:14-21. I think it goes well with the Suscipe - a glimpse of what 'your love and your grace' might really be like.

I pray you, according to the riches of your glory, grant that I may be strengthened in my inner being with power through your Spirit, and that Christ may dwell in my heart through faith, as I am being rooted and grounded in love.  I pray that I may have the power to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and height and depth,  and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that I may be filled with all the fullness of God.



4 comments:

  1. Powerful prayers both. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for these prayers. Best wishes for the New Year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victor. Good to see you back here.

      Delete

I'd love to read your comments, and I'll try to reply to each one.